We did some hardcore sightseeing today. Really, really hardcore. Our day began at 7:45 this morning waiting in line at the Uffizzi Gallery that opened at 8:15 after hearing about the hour long lines that form in a matter of minutes. Next was this tower that was part of a cathedral....we actually PAID to walk 414 steps to the top, but we did get to see amazing views of all of Florence. Those monks must have been in hella good shape.
Next we made our way to yet another Gallery, the Accademia Gallery, that houses David. Michaelangelo's masterpiece was as impressive as Mona Lisa is unimpressive. It's enormous and so....perfect. The rest of the museum was pretty meh, but seeing David was totally worth the 1.5 hour long line...I think. We then made our way over this to the Palazzo Pitti where the Medici family resided and ended with Catedral de Santa Maria del Fiore. Sightseeing in Florence is expensive! All the discounts were for European Union students...which I thought was kind of unfair. Now i know how "adults" feel.
Florence has lots and lots of leather. Everywhere. And gelato shops are more prevalent than leather vendors! Our guidebook reccomends eating gelato everyday, and I fully support this. I think it's my new favorite food. Oh, and because of our early mornign we had to get an Italian cappuchino today which was fabulous! One of the best coffees I've ever had...and so delicate and cute!
Europeans have no personal space nor concept of what a line is. I will try to order something at a counter and end up waiting for five people who have come up after me to order. I don't know if I just don't look agressive or what, but it's very frustrating for someone coming from the US where lines are sacrosact. When there is a line enforced (for museums and such) everyone stands soooo close to you that you can almost feel their breath on the back of you neck. It's quite uncomfortable. I find that because I stand more than three inches away from the person in front of me, that people will always choose my spot in line to pass through. Always. Then I feel like a pushover and realize I need to be more agressive. But I'm just a silly American you see.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment