Thursday, July 3, 2008

London: Part Deux

Who would have thought that the tube actually closes down? Yes, the main line had 'communcation errors' this morning and we were faced with paying £22 for a tourist bus or walking for a few hours. Luckily, with my persistent questioning of the tube info guy (who was getting a bit annoyed as a que formed behind us) we found an alternate route and arrived at the Tower of London, though a bit late. There are ravens there that can't fly! They've clipped their wings because, apparently if they crows run away, the castle will fall down. Wouldn't want 900 years of hard work to go to waste because of some ravens flying away, apparently...

I loooved the Tate Modern. There's something about modern art that absolutely fascinates me. It's the expansiveness and all the bright colors that just draw me in. And that it can be anything you want it to be. I like that. Oh, and it makes me look oh so intellectual to pretend to like modern art. Ha.

We ended by seeing an 'Evensong Service' at St. Paul's Cathedral. It was amazing. The second tallest dome in Europe definitely has AMAZING acoustics, and the choir sounded so wonderful. I might just move to London and become Catholic if it meant I could attend service there every Sunday. Or is it Protestant? Sharon and I couldn't figure it out, and we were embarrassed that we didn't know. I could be happy being Catholic or Protestant, though, if it meant hearing a choir sing in St. Paul's again...

I've made a project of taking a photo of every Starbucks I see on my trip. I was disturbed on the first day walking around London that there seemed to be the same amount of Starbucks in London as there were in Seattle. Since then I've probably taken about 12 Starbucks pictures. When someone asks to see my pictures from my trip to Europe, I'll just show them my Starbucks pictures.

By the way, it really is true that American's are hated. I've gotten more dirty looks here, for no reason at all, than in my entire life...but I suppose stereotypes are true to some extent. I really think I should start using my awful Russian accent. Or not talk at all.

Ireland tomorrow!

3 comments:

A friend said...

Que es un 'que' no entiendo. You mean a queue? Oh?

Je deteste les Americains, ils ne sont pas inteligente!

Zoe, we told you so.

We. Told. You. So.

Laura said...

Oh Zoe, how I miss thee. (Insert blues clues noises here) I'm glad you're seeing so much and are so enthusiastic! I think Sharon was a perfect friend to go along with you. :) Enjoy Ireland!!!

p.s. Ditto to the "friend"'s comment. :) I think you know who that friend is. If not, we will be sad, and may have to end our relationship.

Spiralmoon Studio said...

BTW - St. Paul's is Church of England not Catholic!

Miss you.

JayLene