It's been a while since I updated! In Dublin we went to a castle just outside of the city called Malahide. The castle itself wasn't all that impressive, but the grounds were so beautiful! Everything was green, green, green. All that rain really does make Ireland as green as everyone says it is. Ah, but I am sick of the rain! After rain in Oregon for 3/4 the year, I'm ready for dry summers, but Ireland just seems to rain all the time.... We also saw the Irish National Gallery, which paled a bit in comparison to the British National Gallery...
The next day we took a day tour to the Wicklow Mountains outside of Dublin. I didn't understand people's obsession with Ireland when in Dublin, but after seeing the countryside I do now. It's soooo beautiful. Even on a rainy day! Sharon and I decided we would become hermits and live in the Irish wilderness. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
After another Ryanair flight (this time with a landing that I felt was made by a pilot that was slightly less drunk) we were in Paris. After spending the night in the Dublin Airport, we weren't much up to sight seeing, but of course managed to squeeze some in. We went to the Opera Garnier, which I was so excited to see after hearing about it's football field sized stage. I didn't think places this sumptuously and decadently decorated and designed existed unless they were created by the church! Everything was gold gilt and mirrors and there were statues and busts everywhere of the main composers. I decided then that if I lived in Paris I would do nothing but eat croissants and go to operas.
I have learned how to say a few things in French: tap water, thank you, I don't speak French, and do you speak english. If it's possible (and it is) the French hate us more than the English.
After walking forever to see the Arc de Triomphe I absolutely had to walk down Champs d'Elyesses (yes, Matt, I'm sure I spelled it wrong!), and bought a few things at Cartier and such. Ok, so maybe not....
We met Michelle and her sister at the Eiffel Tower last night! I feel soooo worldly, you know, meeting my friend for drinks in Paris and such. Well, time to go be more worldly. Au revoir!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment