Saturday, July 12, 2008

Ok, I am a bit less sleep deprived, grumpy and flustered than last time...so maybe I can actually catch up with this post.

Paris...Im sure some people will hate me for this, but I think its pretty overrated. Yes, the museums and sights are amazing, but the city itself was less that I expected. Ive always heard its the most romantic city in the world, but unless you count countless couples making out in the middle of the street romantic, then Id say its just another large, slightly smelly city, where they make a hobby of hating Americans. The Lourve, however, was fantastic. We spent only about 6 hours there , but I think we got to see all the paintings. The Mona Lisa was....well...crowded and small, as I expected. But I had to say Id seen it, and I even got a blurry picture of it, with some guys hand in the way. We didnt even start on the sculptures [other than Venus de Milo, of course], so that will have to wait for another trip. Also, I loved Versailles. French royalty definitely had it made back then, that is until they were all beheaded. Of course, if I knew how the royalty was living when I couldnt afford to eat, Id probably behead them, too. After finishing a tour of the chateau [that is, enourmous PALACE], I was almost queasy from seeing so much guilt molding. Louis XIV was a pretentious bastard. There was about 20 portraits of him with people worshiping at his feet. Oh, and the grounds around the chateau! It has its own CANAL!!

Barcelona I love so far, however. The mood is so relaxed, the people seem so real. There are all these old, winding alleys with apartments towering above them that have brightly colored clothes hanging and countless plants. The people arent hostile!! Today we visited the Basilica de la Sagrada Familia, a design started by Gaudi in the 1920s that still isnt finished! It was very odd, visiting somewhere that is so richly designed in some areas, yet still with cranes overhanging it. The Chocolate Museum was my favorite where our ticket was actually a bar of chocolate. After going through it I wanted nothing more than to gorge on chocolate...so we had to get this cup of chocolate, which I thought was going to be something like hot cocoa, but turned out to be something like a melted chocolate bar. Mmmmm..... Then we walked to the Picasso Museum, where we were able to see works from Picasso from the time he was 15 on. It was really interesting to see his evolution. We saw the Catedral next, where I had to pay a Euro for a shawl to cover my oh so scandalous dress. Its very fashionable, though, I must say.

Oh, and Barcelona is much cheaper!! Theres so much AMAZING food!! Everywhere you turn theres these patisseries with cookies and eclaires and croissants and bon bons....just every sweet you can imagine! I don t know how these people stay thin, if I lived here I would eat bon bons and cookies until I couldnt fit through the door. Alright, internet time is about up, so better go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a similar feeling about Paris.. A bit overrated.. I did also love Versailles (Sp?) I should have given you this tour book I have that I bought there when I went. Are you planning on going to Nice at all? If you have time, stop by, it's wonderful.

Anonymous said...

"The Lourve" sounds like some kind of disease you get while traveling France. Similar to The Bends while diving or something - "Hey honey, want to go out and see the Eiffel Tower tonight?" "Not now sweetie, I think I have a case of The Lourve"