Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Goodbye musical Vienna....goodbye Mozartkugeln (although I resisted buying any as I knew I'd eat them all before I could get them home).

My German is no better than when coming to Switzerland about a week ago except I know how to say "entrance" and "exit." It goes like this: German people babble at me in German, I give them a blank stare, they give me a blank stare, I say uhhh....as I try to remember how to say "I don't speak German" in German, they start speaking perfect English. Yes Dad, I'm still mad at you for not teaching me German! Turns out knowing how to say "sweet dreams" and "hot chocolate" doesn't come in handy as often as I thought it would.

I get made fun of for eating the liverwurst at breakfast. But I don't care.

I witnessed socialized medicine at its finest as I accompanied Sharon to the hospital yesterday in Vienna. Because of all of her blisters she contracted some awful fungus that turned systemic as she ignored it. She'll be fine now that she's on medication and anti-fungal creme. The emergency room is structured very differently than those in the U.S. If you're not dying, you wait for a long time... Luckily there were lots of dreamy Austrian doctors for me to pine over.

We arrived in Prague a few house ago. The Czech language bewilders me! German amused me, but Czech is just plain scary. Prague is lovely so far, though!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Oh no! Poor Sharon! Free healthcare... sigh. :) Keep eating sausage at breakfast for me. Goodniicght.