We are in Berlin! This city is so very very different from all the rest we've been in. Everything was completely destroyed in WWII so most of the buildings are very modern (and many very utilitarian due to the Soviet influence, I assume). To me, though, it's quite the feat what the Berliners have accomplished in the last 60 years. Their transit system is one of the most efficient I've been on (there's the U-bahn, S-bahn, H-bahn, and M-bahn!) and everything seems very 'well organized.' These are the Germans we're talking about, though.
It's funny the difference between München and Berlin. München is so traditional, stereotypical Germany. Everyone drinks beer at all three meals of the day, the people in general are much more 'stocky ' (probably because the aforementioned vast quantities of beer consumed), and beer gardens and beer halls are more common than grocery stores. Not like that in Berlin. I think I've seen more ethnic restaurants than traditional german restaurants. There is quite a diversity in the people here....München definitely had more than its share of blonde haired blue eyed folk.
They both have lots of Starbucks, though, and that prevailing sense of efficiency, law abiding citizenship, and absolute cleanliness that I think is common throughout Germany. As well as the funky windows that open two ways.
Sharon and I are getting very jaded when it comes to sightseeing. Five weeks of visiting museum after museum, cathedral after cathedral, and various and sundry palaces has spoiled us against visiting any more of these aforementioned places. One can only see so many beautiful Monets, church spires, and gold laden wall molding.... But we will probably go anyway because I feel if we don't I'll regret it. So yes, you should feel bad that I'm forcing myself to go to another cathedral!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment