Monday, August 4, 2008

We did a little more in Munich than see the Glockenspiel (but of course that was one of the best parts). The first thing I absolutely had to do was eat weißwurst. They were so, so good. I don't care who doesn't like my wonderful Bavarian white sausage, but I think they are pretty swell. The next day we visited Dachau, which was definitely an interesting experience, and the English Gardens, apparently the largest park in Europe (bigger than Hyde!). Our sightseeing was a bit hampered by our visit to some beerhalls the night before. But that is apparently the ultimate Munich expience (beer drinking, that is), so I suppose I can consider it sightseeing too, right?

After only a short visit we left Munich, where my Bavarian heritage lies, to go to Vienna, where my musical roots are. We toured the opera house, though unfortunately the season only runs through June, so we weren't able to see an opera. At the state opera house here there's seats for €2!! Of course, they are standing, and you aren't able to see that much, but imagine being able to see world class operas for the cost of a coffee! I would go every night!

We went to Haus der Musik, this museum that explains the physics of music and sound in really cool interactive ways (like OMSI for music), and I had to go visit all the graves of all the composers buried in Vienna. Handily, they're in their own little section in this massive graveyard on the edge of town: Beethoven, Schubert, Johann Strauss, Wolf, Brahms, Gluck....

Then I had a coffee at Starbucks (don't worry, this is the first time this has happened!) and I sat there wondering why I was having coffee at STARBUCKS in Vienna, the supposed coffee capital of the world. I sipped my expensive melange all the while being very angry with myself.

On this keyboard, the 'Y' and the 'Z' have switched places, making it much more convenient to spell my name. Yet another sign I should move to Europe....

No comments: