Belgium beer, while obviously not as good as its chocolate or waffles (though some would disagree, I'm sure), is definitely....prevalent. I had to break the pact I made with myself two weeks ago to stay away from beer forever more because it seems like all you could do in Brussels was eat chocolate or waffles or drink beer. They definitely take their beer seriously there. There was a bar we visited called Delerium that had 2,650 different types of beer. They're all listed in this huge dictionary size book. My personal favorite (actually, the only one I could say I even liked) was this chocolate beer I had. It tasted exactly like a yoo-hoo!
I am in London for the rest of the evening before heading to Heathrow to spend the night in the airport for my early flight tomorrow morning. Arriving in England was a bit of a relief. For the first time in six weeks I can speak to someone at a grocery store without feeling like a burden because i don't speak their language. It's really nice, actually.
I suppose this will be the last post of my blog, and I'm not quite sure how to end it. I have, however, been making a list of more things I've learned in Europe, so I'll write a few of those:
*The U.S. really, REALLY needs to convert to the metric system.
*Cell phones are overrated
*Clean clothes are not overrated
*The word 'queue' is much cooler than 'line.' I can't say the same for 'lift' instead of 'elevator,' but 'trolley' beat 'shopping cart' any day
*The world worships the obsequious Golden Arches
*I really must become fluent in at least one other language
*Pay bathrooms are the worst idea ever
*Public urinals are quite a good idea (though us ladies lose out on the brilliance of them)
*Spray deodorant is just weird
*Hershey's chocolate needs to die
*As the number of McDonald's, Burger Kings, Starbucks, and English speakers goes up in Europe, the power of the dollar goes down, down, down...
*I do believe I could subsist solely on bread, cheese, apples, carrots, and chocolate. For the rest of my life. Perhaps I shall.
I'm bad a goodbyes...or endings...or whatever you want to call this...so I'll just end this awkwardly and call it a day. I'm sad to leave Europe, but excited to see all you wonderful people when I get back VERY SOON!
2 comments:
You'll be pleased to know I've done a remarkable job of babysitting your tanning minutes. None of them have escaped yet! They're all just like you left them! Yes, I've had a very pale summer, but at least you have that to come back to? :) (Tanning in Corvallis, not a very pale Karen)
Very good......
Post a Comment